We’re looking for highly motivated and inspiring college-bound students who are committed to personal finance and higher education. Whether you budget everything down to the last penny in your backpack or live for detailed five-year plans, we want to hear about how you are taking control of your financial future and planning your own path to success.
Applicants will be judged based on whether they:
- Demonstrate considerable effort in completing the budget worksheet and essays. Their budget worksheets and essays display a high level of thought, organization and detail.
- Are forward-thinking and goal-oriented. They demonstrate they are already beginning to think beyond college and planning for their future. They have a clear vision for how this scholarship will help reach their long-term academic and professional goals.
- Seek financial stability. They demonstrate a desire to take control of their financial future and are aware of strategies that will help them become financially responsible adults.
- Display academic excellence. They are intellectually curious, set high academic goals and excel in their studies.
- Are interested and involved in various extracurricular activities. They are well-rounded individuals who excel in academics, but also realize the power of knowledge outside the classroom. They have multiple outlets to channel their passion, leadership and creativity.
- Represent H&R Block values. They share key company attributes: proactive and highly motivated, inspiring, charismatic, responsible and trustworthy.
- Are diverse. H&R Block Family Scholarship applicants have diverse backgrounds, are from different places and have different academic ambitions.
Ten students of the families of H&R Block U.S. associates will each receive $10,000 in scholarship money for their commitment to personal finance and higher education.
In order to be eligible for the Children of Associates Premier Scholarship (CAPS), the applicant must:
- Have a parent, stepparent, grandparent or step-grandparent who is a current regular or seasonal company or franchise Associate for H&R Block in the United States and be able to prove relationship to employee.
- Be a high school senior at the time of entry.
- Be accepted and enrolled as a freshman at an accredited four-year university by the Fall of 2019.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident (you will be asked to prove citizenship if you win).
- November 7th Application opens. Get after it!
- January 18th Nomination period closes.
- January 25th Application closes at 5:00pm EST.
- April 19th Scholarship winners are announced.
A panel of scholarship experts will review all applications based on the judging criteria.
DoSomething Strategic staff will conduct interviews (via Google Meet) to gain additional insight on the applicants. Mark your calendars for early-March because that’s when we’ll begin these conversations with the top 20 applicants.
We will select and announce the final 10 CAPS winners on April 19th. Start practicing your celebratory dance now!